Alex Rhodes believes everyone should walk around with a song in their head. He writes upbeat, down-home music for forward-thinking nostalgics.
“I grew up singing along while my dad played guitar and later sang with any song on the radio. That’s what I bring forward with my music – tap your foot, sing along, dance a bit, have some fun, maybe find some meaning and common ground.”
He recently finished recording “Hometown Rootage” (2020) with Kieran Kelly (Angus & Julia Stone, Sufjan Stevens).
Rhodes been on the same the stages as the likes of Andy Sydow, Bonnie and Taylor Sims, Shanna in a Dress, Antonio Lopez, Caitlin Cannon, Tim Ostdiek, Acoustic Syndicate and Jupiter Coyote.
His songs are easily singable with catchy guitar and harmonica licks over some fine foot drumming. This is what happens when you’re raised on folk music and your dad teaches you to play the guitar.
- Winner: Most Inspiring Story, Great River Folk Festival
- featured on 105.5 FM Colorado Playlist
- showcased at Durango Song Expo
- premiered on Americana Highways
- featured on Middle Class Rock Star podcast
- Casey Jones Music Festival
- Tedx Denver pre and post party
- Underground Music Showcase Streams with Grit
- Swallow Hill Virtual
- Rocky Mountain Virtual presented by ARISE Music Festival
Sounds like: Wilco, Ruston Kelly, Rayland Baxter, Langhorne Slim, Josh Ritter, Blitzen Trapper
Bio excerpted from https://alexrhodesshow.com
1. What comes first, music or lyrics?
Music – lyrics are just sounds that I edit later
2. Who is one of your biggest influences yet your music sounds NOTHING like them?
3. Favorite band name
Jr. Jr. (formerly Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.)
4. Go-to karaoke song
Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover – Sophie B Hawkins
5. Most moving musical experience (not one of your own shows)
Being 20 ft from MCA in the crowd at Red Rocks.
6. You’ve been asked to sing the Star Spangled Banner at a major sporting event. Accept or Decline?
7. Craziest or funniest thing that ever happened at a gig?
Had a guy threaten to kill me – 5 ft in front of stage. He was messed up on drugs, but the threat of death from a random person is always a bit concerning.
8. What are you currently working on?
Weezco – a mashup of Weezer’s Blue Album and Wilco’s YHF album – will release on YouTube.
9. Currently listening to?
I can’t stop listening to Wilderado – I think they are awesome!
10. Your next gig is playing a one-song concert for a world wide audience. Which of your songs would you play and why?
I Am Not Waiting – partly b/c it’s new and fresh, but I also wrote and recorded it with the intent of universal appeal (read: sync).